- About BNS
- Giving to BNS
- Parent Pages
- Our Other Sites
- Staff Resources
updated January 2017
Brooklyn New School is in year two of a new admissions policy designed to help foster diversity within the school. We will prioritize students eligible for Free or Reduced Price Lunch. You can indicate on your application if your child qualifies for Free or Reduced Price Lunch.
Information you'll need for the Kindergarten Connect application:
- We are in District 15. Our DBN (school number) is 15K146.
The Department of Education has centralized Kindergarten admissions and will place children through a citywide Kindergarten placement process, called Kindergarten Connect.
Children are admitted to BNS Kindergarten by DOE lottery through Kindergarten Connect. There is no entrance test and no pre-admission interview. Parents are asked to fill out a simple DOE application and a BNS outreach questionnaire available here. There are open house dates scheduled for fall and winter. Parents are urged to attend an open house before they apply. BNS is located in D15 but is not a zoned school; children who live in D13, 14, 15 and 16 are eligible to apply. Children who live in D17 and above will go to the wait list. See the D15 Kindergarten Directory for more information on BNS Kindergarten admissions priorities.
To apply to BNS for Kindergarten, families must participate in the DOE Kindergarten placement process, Kindergarten Connect. The Kindergarten application will be available online, over the phone and at Family Welcome Centers. Check the DOE website for more information about the Kindergarten admissions process. If you have questions about Elementary School Admissions, please call (718) 935-2009 or email ESEnrollment@schools.nyc.gov
- DOE Kindergarten Connect applications will be available Nov 30-Jan13.
- the BNS Kindergarten Outreach Questionnaire is available here. Please fill one out after you apply through Kindergarten Connect and come on a tour.
- The D15 elementary school directory is available here.
- Families are encouraged to attend a BNS open house.
- BNS follows the DOE Kindergarten admissions calendar.
- The waitlist for the current school year is closed.
If your child has an IEP or if your child might have an IEP for September 2017:
- Come to an Open House. All open houses include a tour of special education classes.
- Speak with us about your child's needs when you visit. For more information about our special education program, click here.
- Children with IEPs are entered into the DOE lottery.
Come to an Open House
The Brooklyn New School hosts several Open House dates each year, so that prospective families can visit the school and learn about our approach and our community first-hand.
Each Open House includes a tour and begins the the Auditorium. An Open House lasts approximately one and a half hours. Families do not need to register for an Open House.
Every Open House is appropriate for families applying to pre-K to 5th grade.
Open House dates for 2016-2017: